West Town Meadow, Forder Lane

West Town Meadow was part of Town Farm, during the 20th Century this pasture was taken into use by the council to provide the first council houses in the village of Bishopsteignton.

West Town Meadow

West Town Meadow was part of Town Farm, during the 20th Century this pasture was taken into use by the council to provide the first council houses in the village of Bishopsteignton.

Map view showing the position of the eight West Town meadow houses in 1934
Map view showing the position of the eight West Town meadow houses in 1934.

The plot is recorded in the Tithe apportionment as West Town meadow – pasture – part of 3 acres and 10 perches in the occupation of Joanna Harvey.  The Land Owner is Rev. John Comyns. (Church land)

Example of the style of houses and brickwork that form the West Town Meadow Houses.
Example of the style of houses and brickwork that form the West Town Meadow Houses.

These are first houses built by the local authority in between the wars.   They are constructed of Kingsteignton bricks.   The kilns were near Newton Abbot Race Course.

At the time of completion the workmanship and materials were such that the rent was too much for those that the properties were intended for.  The first inhabitants were, the postman, the district nurse, the village policeman and an architect.

20th Century Council Houses built on West Town Meadow, Forder Lane, Bishopsteignton.
20th Century Council Houses built on West Town Meadow, Forder Lane, Bishopsteignton.

1939 Census

Occupants are;

No. 1 William G Apps – Water bailiff and Insurance Agent.(As per Kelly’s Directory)

No. 2 Frederick J Dearke – Lengthman – GWR.

No.3. William Crocker – Police Constable

No.4 Francis Hellyer – Auxiliary postman (retired blacksmith)

No.5. Olivia Gill – widow

No. 6. Albert Passmore – Agricultural labourer

No. 7 Frank Causley – Plumber

No. 8 Walter Bridgeman – Architect and surveyor

Leave a Reply