1726 – 1928
The oldest part of the school, built in 1726, was a charity school, with Christopher Coleman providing free places for 20 village children.
The school was extended in 1850, 1876 and 1923 and these dates can be seen above the doors of the building.
The 1923 classroom is understood to be converted from the old stable block belonging to Cross House.
From 1888 to 1928 the Headteacher was Clifford Wallis. He married his assistant teacher, Eleanor Swain, who continued to teach at the school after having her children. The family were actively involved in village life, starting a school band and football team.
1929 – 1973
The years between 1929 and 1947 are not well documented but from 1948 to 1959 there begin to be photographs of each class, taken in the playground.
Mr William Holmes was the last Headteacher at the school and oversaw the move to the new school in Cockhaven Close in 1973.
1973 – present
Over the years the Community Centre has been home to a myriad of village events, clubs and activities and this continues to the present day.