This is the building which is now incorporated in the Ring of Bells. Originally it was designed to match Cross Gate with one cottage on either side of the end of Radway Hill. The designer is reputed to be John Nash and the builder William Boone. It has also been known as Wisteria Cottage.
1835 A cottage in this position was occupied by William Boone.
1841 The Census shows the occupants are Anne Porter, aged 25 independent, with her daughter Sara aged 11 and 2 servants.
1851 The Census shows Amy Vooght, aged 66 and sister Mary Mann, age 55 as occupiers next to blacksmith.
1856 The Post Office Directory shows the occupier as Mr George Tenant.
1857 Hughes Directory shows the occupant as Mr George Tenant.
1861 The Census shows Amy Vooght, aged 86 as occupier next to blacksmith.
1871 The Census shows Amy Vooght, aged 86 as occupier (Between blacksmith and Ring of Bells)
1881 Not mentioned
1883 Kelly’s Directory shows the occupant as Joseph Vooght. This is repeated in the 1889 edition. This is a cottage near to Teign Villas which took the name.
1891 Census Wisteria Cottage occupied by Martha Underhill living on own means with one house maid.
1901 Census Known as Westeria Cottage occupied by Alfred Langworthy and family – Groom and coachman.
1911 Census Albert John French is publican of the Ring of Bells. Post Office Street. No mention of Wisteria Cottage.
Later the property became the Conservative Club, before it was made part of the public house on the corner of Radway Hill.
1939 Census Charles P Ridgeway Publican Ring of Bells.