A summary of the occupiers of Radway, Bishopsteignton, taken from the official parish records.
This is an area rather that a single dwelling or property. Radway is derived from Rad, Old English for grass or herbage, and Waie Old English for track or way; so it is the way to the grass feeding land, or Haldon Common where there was common pasture.
1524 The Devon Subsidy Roll names Thomas Comyng as having a moderate income from agriculture, and Robert Comyng as having a slightly larger income from the same source.
1543 The Devon Subsidy Roll names the Comyns family as having incomes from agricultural sources. They are Thomas, Robert Senior, John, Michael, Ralph, John Junior, Thomas Junior, Philip.
1559 The Marriage Register records the marriage of Thomas Balle.
1568 The Baptism Register records the baptism of Edward, son of William Balle.
1579 The Marriage Register records the marriage between John Comnge at Radway and Julian Bond.
1586 The Baptism Register records the baptism of Frances, daughter of John Cominge of Radwaie.
1588 The Baptism Register records the baptism of John, the son of Thomas Comynge at Radwaie
1589 The Burial Register records the burial of Agnes Comynge the elder at Radwaie, widow.
1590 The Burial Register records the burial of Thomas the son of Thomas Comynge at Radwaie.
1594 A Marriage Record between Robert Bagge and Helene Sawden one of the witnesses is Thomas Comynge of Radwaie.
1611 A sale document records the sale by the Earl of Salisbury to Nicholas the younger of a house and land at Radway. This is the original Upper Radway Farm; the house is now called Lower Radway.
1625 The Marriage Register records the Marriage of Maximilian Comyns of Bishopsteignton to Alice Horrell of Kingsteington, widow. Feb 26th.
1627 An Indenture records the sale of Thomas Commynge of Bishopsteignton and his wife Margerie and his heir apparent Maximilian to Nicholas Balle of Chudleigh land and tenements at Radway for £450. The area is roughly north of Manor Road and Teignview Road. Note that in 1653 when Nicholas Balle raised a mortgage he pledged these lands as security.
1636 The Burial Register records the burial of Thomas Coming of Radway, senior.
1641 The Devon Protestations Returns show eight Comyns in the list, namely Charles, Frances, John Senior, John Junior, Maximilian, Richard and Thomas. No home names are recorded.
1641 The Devon Protestation Return show for Ball – Nicholas and Nicholas Junior.
1665 An Indenture of Fine in the Devon Records office records that Thomas Comyns buys properties in Radway from Christopher Sandford and his wife Catherine.
1674 The Hearth Tax Register shows that Richard Ball of Radway has six hearths. The only Comyns entry is for Mary Coming with 1 hearth.
1694 The Burial Register records the burial of Thomas Comyns of Radaway.
1702 The Burial Register records the burial of Agnes, the daughter of Mr Nicholas and Agnes Ball of Radaway, yeoman.
1704 The Burial Register records the burial of Mr Nicholas Ball of Radaway.
1721 The Churchwardens’ record records Thomas Comyns as churchwarden.
1779 An Indenture for Sale records the sale of relicts of John Balle to James Templer of Higher Radway Estate.
1771 In a judgement about tithes, Higher Radway is in the possession of John Ball; Lower Radway is in possession of John Mason, part of which was previously in the possession of Maximillian Comyns.
1779 John Balle of Radway died and left his estate of Higher Radway Farm to his three married daughters as co-heirs. They sold the property to James Templer of Stover Lodge later of Lindridge.
1786 The Churchwardens’ Records, record Mr John Coysh as churchwarden for Higher Radway.
1788 The Churchwardens’ Records show that Richard Knill Junr. was churchwarden for Higher Radaway estate.
1789 The Baptism Register records the baptism of Hannah the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Hutchins of Radway.
1792 The Local Tax Assessment records that Templer owns Higher Radway and that Henry Hutchins is tenant there. There is no change for 1797, but then Thomas Vooght becomes the tenant.
1798 The Baptism Register records the Baptism of James the son of Thomas Vooght and Mary his wife of Radway.
1804 The churchwardens’ records show that William Coyse is churchwarden for Higher Radway.
1828 The Local Tax Assessment shows Templer as owner of Higher Radway and John Bickley as tenant.
1828 The Local Tax Assessment shows Elizabeth Heller as tenant of Lower Radway.
1832 A Lindridge Estate Survey shows Radaway Farm i.e. Higher Radway, contains 130 acres.
1840 Bishopsteignton Tithe List records Rev John Comyns as owner and Robert Steer as occupier of Lower Raddaway Farm.
1851 The Census records that Higher Radway Farm is in possession of George Parnell, aged 43 and that it has 126 acres.
1851 The Census records that Radaway Farm is in possession of William Reed aged 35 and that it contains 140 acres.
1857 Billing’s Directory shows George Parnall as farmer at Higher Radway.
1857 Billing’s Directory shows that William Reed is the farmer at Redaway and Broadmeadow. This is repeated for 1866.
1866 Billing’s Directory shows that James Soper is farmer at higher Radway.
1870 Morris’ Directory shows the same as Billings in 1866.
1873 Kelly’s Directory shows that James Soper is farmer at Radway.
1883 Kelly’s Directory shows that John Lake is farmer at Radway and that James Soper is farmer at Radway.
1889 Kelly’s Directory shows that Mrs Jno. Lake is farmer at Radway and Combe.
1889 Kelly’s Directory shows that James Soper is farmer at Radway.
1890 White’s Directory shows that James Soper is farmer at Manor House (Lower Radway Farm).
1897 Kelly’s Directory shows Richard Harvey, Farmer at Radway and James Soper, farmer, at Lower Radway.
1897 A shooting lease for Radway Farm when John Comyns was the owner shows the tenant as J Hanniford and the farm acreage as 202.
The first building on the right on Radway street follows the line of the original farm outbuildings and the original high red stone wall is still visible.
1902 Kelly’s Directory shows John Sparke Hannaford as farmer at Lower Radway and Richard Harvey farmer at Radway.
1903 The renewal of the 1897 lease for shooting rights shows the tenant as J S Hannaford. A further renewal in 1907 has the same tenant.
1909 A further renewal of the 1897 lease shows the tenant as John Sparke Hannaway, but the 1910 lease corrects this to John Sparke Hannaford.
1914 Kelly’s Directory shows John Sparke Hannaford as farmer at Lower Radway and Reginald Harvey farmer at Radway.
1919 Kelly’s Directory shows Samuel Ellis as farmer at Lower Radway, Reginald Harvey as farmer at Radway and Charles Stooke as farmer at Radway.
1921 Auction particulars prepared by Messrs. Rendell and Sawdye dated 3rd August estimate Lower Radway farm with Broadmeadow have 185 acres. In occupation is Mr S Ellis on a yearly tenancy.
1926 Kelly’s Directory shows Reginald Harvey as farmer at Radway and Charles Stooke and Son as farmers at Radway and Lower Radway.
1939 Kelly’s Directory shows W H Dawe and Sons as farmers at Ashhill and Radway farms.
The house of Radway Farm (Manor Farm) was demolished in 1965 without permission.
Lower Radway Farm later became known as Manor Farm and the farm demesne was replaced by a building development known as Grandisson Avenue.
1956 A new farm house is built near Rowden Cross to replace Higher Radway Farm which was originally on Radway Street.