A summary of the occupiers of Town; the triangle of land between Clanage, West Street, & Fore Street, Bishopsteignton including West Town Farm and Town Tenement Farm, taken from the official parish records.
1585 The Burial Register records the burial of John Easton in Town.
1587 The Burial Register records the burial of Richard Alforde, loer (lawyer) in the towne.
1588 The Burial Register records the burial of Michaell Babb, son of Robert Babbe, in towne.
1676 The Burial Register records the burial of Elizabeth Coming the elder to town.
1678 The Burial Register records the burial of Elizabeth Paddon, widow of Westtowne. (Paddon’s Farm is where the present Lendrick stands).
1679 The Baptism Register records the baptism of William son of John Paddon and Mary Westtowne.
1682 The Baptism Register records the baptism of Elizabeth daughter of John and Mary Bawden of West Town.
1867 The Churchwardens’ Records show that Thomas Comyns was churchwarden ‘for his estate at Westtowne.’ (This was probably the estate of the late Maximilian Comyns).
1695 The Marriage Register records the marriage between John Paddon of West Towne and Susannah Wresh, widow.
1696 The Baptism Register records the baptism of Thomas the son of John and Susannah Paddon of West Town. (He is described as ‘poor tailor’ now, and later as ‘seaman’.)
1700 The Burial Register records the burial of John the son of John Paddon, West Town, labourer.
1710 The Burial Register records the burial of John Paddon of West Town.
1712 The Churchwardens’ records show that James Cole is churchwarden ‘for ye Town Tenement’.
1713 The Churchwardens’ records show that Thomas Comyns, gent, is churchwarden for his estate at West Towne.
1736 The list of Sir John Lear’s debts shows that James Cole was tenant at Town Tenement.
1736 The list of Sir John Lear’s debts shows that Josias Brecher was a tenant of the tenement known as ‘late Maximilian Comines, otherwise Westown’.
1740 The Churchwardens’ Records show that William Coleman was churchwarden for ‘late James Coles’ Town Tenement’.
1743 The Churchwardens’ records show that John Paddon was churchwarden for West Town.
1756 The Churchwardens’ records show that Thomas Comyns was churchwarden for West Town.
1777 An Apprenticeship document shows that Mary Hill was apprenticed to John Coysh of West Town in husbandry.
1785 The Churchwardens’ records show that Mr John Coysh was churchwarden for his estate Westowne.
1789 An Apprenticeship document shows that Susannah Townsend was apprenticed to John Coysh of West Town Estate.
1838 A document of Lease shows the name of the owner of the property Town Tenement was John Comyns and the incoming tenant was Joanna Harvey.
1842 The Overseers of the Poor decided to sell the Poor Houses in Town under the Act of William the Fourth, viz. four freehold tenements in occupants of parish paupers – James Martin, Andrew Holman, William Dinsham and Mary Commin.
1845 The above houses were sold to William Hammond. He later became a pauper lunatic and the sale was discontinued.
1848 Captain Hore, ship’s captain, purchased the Poor Houses from the church trustees and developed ‘new’ houses. This area is opposite the Old Commercial Inn, it is bounded by Clanage Street, West Street and Church Lane. There was a public well in the road between the inn and the Poor Houses.
1851 The Census shows that West Town Tenement was in the occupation of Richard Holman aged 51.
1851 The Census shows that Town Tenement was in occupation of Joanna Harvey, 62 (nee Mann) with an acreage of 90 acres.
1856 The Post Office Directory shows the occupant of Town Tenement is Mrs Johanna Harvey.
1856 The Post Office Directory shows that Richard Holman was in occupation of West Town Farm.
1873 Kelly’s Directory shows that George Pinkham was the farmer at West Town Farm.
1908 In April the foundation stone was laid of the new Wesleyan Chapel where previously Town Tenement farm house was situated. Seating for 120 was to be provided.
The Wesleyans then gave the land on which to erect the War Memorial.
1934 OS Map shows the Post Office situated at Smith Hill House, on Smith Hill near the junction with West Street. (Large house with iron railings)
1939 Census Post Master David Pook. The Alice Pook had previously run the Post Office on Fore Street.