Wear Farm

A summary of the occupiers of Wear Farm, Newton Road, Bishopsteignton, taken from the official parish records.

Black and white photograph of Wear Farm, Bishopsteignton
Wear Farm, Bishopsteignton

A summary of the occupiers of Wear Farm, Newton Road, Bishopsteignton, taken from the official parish records.

14th  Century

1332          In the Devon Lay Subsidy William at Were is listed with goods valued at 12d

1338          In a Feet of Fines at York William de la Ware and Isabella his wife and Henry de Hugheton with his wife pleads relating to land at Teignton Episcopi, Bremridge, Gredyton and Teynemouth.  Thus is probably a marriage portion for one of the family.  De Hugheton was a well known merchant in Exeter.

16th Century

1524          The Devon Subsidy Roll names John Babbe at Were, Junior with  fair agricultural income.

1558          The Burial Register records the burial of John Babbe at Weare on 5 January.

17th Century

1617          Cleland states that the Pidsley family acquired Ware around this date.

1641          The Devon Protestation Return show John Pidsley senior and John Pidsley  junior signing the return.

1674          The Hearth Tax Return shows Jon Pedley (Pidsley) with four hearths, though no holding name.

18th Century

1703          The Burial Register records the burial of Mrs Margery Pidsley, old virgin of Ware.

1706          Ware was occupied by Charles Pidsley and his wife.

1714          The Baptism Register Records the baptism of Edward the son of Mr Charles and Joan Pidsley of Ware.

1730          The occupant was John Pidsley who died in 1769.

1737          John Comyns married Mrs Charles Pidsley, widow.

1736          The list of Sir John Lear’s debts shows John Pidsley as tenant at Ware.

1740          A Survey of the Lindridge Estate shows Jno. Pidsley as tenant at Ware, with a rent of 3s 4d

1752          The Churchwardens’ records show that John Pidsley gent was churchwarden for Ware.

1770          The Baptism Register records the baptism of Elizabeth the daughter of John and Grace Taylor of Ware.

1773          The Churchwardens’ Records show that William Waye was churchwarden ‘deputy for Charles Pidsley gent for Ware’.

1793          The Burial Register records the burial of Mrs Elizabeth Pidsley of Ware aged 74.

1794          The Burial Register records the burial of Carolus Salter, son of John Pidsley and Marianne of Ware aged 7 months.

1795          The Burial Register records the burial of Mr Charles Pidesley of Ware aged 73.

1792          The Land Tax Register shows Charles Pidsley own and George Paddon occupies Ware.

1799          The Baptism Register records the baptism of Susannah, daughter of William and Anne Cornish of Wear.

SEpia photograph of River Teign Estuary from Wear Hill
River Teign Estuary from Wear Hill

19th Century

1828          The Land Tax Assessment shows that John Pidsley owns Wear and that William Rossiter  is tenant.

1833          The Voters’ List shows William Rossiter rents Wear from John Pidsley of Exeter.

1851          The Census shows William Rossiter occupies Wear, aged 67.  The acreage is 139.

1856          The Post Office Directory shows William Rossiter as farmer at Wear.

1857          The Baptism Register Records the baptism of Samuel Carter Rossiter Ware.

1865          The Burial Register records the burial of William Rossister of Wear.  He had lived in Bishopsteignton for nearly 50 years.

1870.        Morris’ Directory shows Mrs Rossiter occupies Wear.

1886          The Baptism Register records the baptism of a child of Andrew Cornish Hall and Mary Lavinia Hall.

1890          White’s Directory shows Andrew Cornish Hall is farmer at Ware Farm.

20th Century

1904          Charles Stooke bought the farm.

1914          Kelly’s Directory shows Charles Stooke, farmer at Ware.

1919          Kelly’s Directory shows John Parnell Tucker as farmer at Ware.

1926          Kelly’s Directory shows John Coaker and Sons, farmers at Ware.

1935          Kelly’s Directory shows John Coaker as farmer at Wear.

1935          A newspaper cutting records the sale of Ware Farm, late the property of Mr John Coaker.  The purchaser was Mr D Wrayford.

1939          Kelly’s Directory shows the occupier of Wear Farm was William S Coaker.

1955          Grade II* Listed building and garden

Colour photograph of Wear Farm, Bishopsteignton circa 1960?
Wear Farm, Bishopsteignton circa 1960?

Do you have any other information on Wear Farm or its owners? If you would like to subscribe and leave a comment, please see the link below.

 

References and credits

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101147196-wear-farmhouse-and-kitchen-garden-walls-bishopsteignton#.XAgeydv7SUk

Photographs courtesy of the collection of Greg the Postie.

You might also be interested in...

MURLEY GRANGE
Wood Farm

Leave a Reply