Richard George Patrick Bernard Dyer

Richard George Patrick Bernard Dyer was born January 1925, in Newton Abbot, Devon. Son of William John and Violet Dyer (née Damerell); married to Rosalind Dyer (née Hall) of Brixham, Devon. He served in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve as a sergeant, 1585784. He died in Egypt, on 12th April, 1944.

See more

George Valentine

George Valentine was born in April, 1921 in West Derby, Lancashire. Son of John and Ellen Valentine (née Speakman); married to Irene Margaret Valentine (née Houlton). He served in 31 (S.A.A.F.) Squadron in the Royal Air Force as an officer pilot, 54979. He died in Italy on 30th September, 1944.

See more

Ronald Ambrose Slater

Ronald Ambrose Slater was born in April, 1921 in Lambeth London. Son of Cecil and Elsie Slater (née Green); husband of Sylvia May Slater (née Ward), of Bishopsteignton. He served in the Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh’s) as a lieutenant, 269427. He died of his wounds in the Battle of Normandy, France on 8th Aug, 1944.

See more

Sidney Albert Treen

Sidney Albert Treen was born on the 11th February, 1920, in Bishopsteignton, Devon. Son of William and Laura Treen (née Groves); husband of Gladys Treen (née Sutton) of Teignmouth. He served on HMS Gould in the Royal Navy, as a leading stoker, D/KX97510.
Sidney died on 1st March, 1944.

See more

John Harvey McGregor

John (known as Jack) Harvey McGregor was born 12 May 1906, in Ashstead, Surrey. Son of Robert McGregor, O.B.E. and Edith Annie McGregor (née Dunnett); married to Audrey Pamela McGregor (née Brooke) of Bishopsteignton, Devon. He served on H.M.S. Neptune in the Royal Navy as paymaster commander (acting). He died at sea in Libyan waters on the 19th December, 1941.

See more

Bishopsteignton War Memorial

Bishopsteignton’s War Memorial is “listed” and stands at the top of a raised platform adjacent to the pavement on Fore Street, Bishopsteignton. It was first erected to commemorate those who died during the First World War. Later a stone plaque and flower vase were added at the base of the memorial to commemorate the Fallen of the Second World War.

See more