Humber

A summary of the occupiers of Humber, Bishopsteignton, taken from the official parish records.

There are several holdings known as Humber in the area between Radway and Lindridge, High or Higher, Lower, Home Humber.

The name originates from Old English  Humbrae = Heather and Brae = Hill.

14th Century

1332             In the Devon Lay Subsidary Henry de Houndeburgh is listed as having property valued as 12d.

16th Century

1575             The Baptismal Register records the baptism of Humfrye Alforde, son of John Alforde to Humber.

1576             The Burial Register records the burial of Joan Ewyne of Humber.

1577             The Marriage Register records the marriage between John Ewyne at Humber and Nicholas Bowden.

1579             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Joane, the daughter of John Ewyne of Humber

1583             The Marriage Register records the marriage between Thomas Tripe and Katheryne Alforde of Humber, widow.

1584             The Burial Register records the burial of Phillipe the son of John  Wille to Humber.

1585             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Isett Wills daughter of John Willes to Humber.

1585             The Burial Register records the burial of John Alforde at Humber.

17th Century

1602             The Baptism Register records the baptism of John son of John Cominge of Humber.

1602             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Johane daughter of Joan Coave of Humber.

1602             The Burial Register records the burial of Johanne Cominge with of Robert Cominge the elder of Humber.

1602             The Burial Register records the burial of John Ewyn of Humber.

1606             The Baptism Register records the Baptism of Elizabeth daughter of John Harte of Humber.

1609             The Burial Register records the burial of Michaell Harte the son of John Harte of Humber.

1610             The Burial Register records the burial of Julyan the daughter of Robert Commynge of Humber.

1611             An Indenture of Sale records the sale of Middle Humber (and Radway) to Nicholas Cove the younger by the Earl of Salisbury.

1611             In an Indenture of Sale of Higher Radway to Nicholas Cove, the tenements in Humber included which are occupied by Thomas Paddon and John Hart, by Christopher Dullard and by Robert Cominge and his wife Elizabeth.

1625             The Burial Register records the burial of Michaell Whidbourne of Humber.

1656             The Burial Register records the burial of Joane Alforde the wife of Gregorie Alforde of Humber.

1657             The Burial Register records the burial of Richard Whitborne of Humber, senior.

1667             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Hester, daughter of Richard Whitburne of Humber and Alice his wife.

1668             The Burial Register records the burial of Elizabeth Whitborne, the elder of Humber.

1674             The Hearth Tax Register shows Richard Whitborne to have 5 hearths in his dwelling.

1673             The Churchwardens’ Records show an entry for Richard Whitbourne of Humber.

1676             The Burial Register records the burial of Richard Whitbourne, senior of Humber.

1677             The Burial Register records the burial of John Martin, senior of Humber.

1680             The churchwarden’s Records show that Alice Whitborne, of Humber nominated Thos. Ewen as churchwarden.

1686             The Marriage Register records the marriage between Thomas Whitbourne of Humber and Elizabeth Mudge.

1691             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Nicholas the son of Thomas Coming of Humber and Elizabeth.

1692             The Baptismal Register records the baptism of Richard son of Thomas Whitborn, Humber and Elizabeth, yeoman.

18th Century

1703             The Burial Register records the burial of Jane, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Whitborne of Humber, yeoman.

1708             The Churchwardens’ records show that Nicholas was church warden for Higher Humber.

1711             The Burial Register records the burial of Alice Whitbourne of Humber.

1711             The Churchwardens’ records show Thomas Whitbourne as churchwarden.

1712             The Churchwardens’ Records show that Richard Bickford of Humber was churchwarden.

1713             The Burial Register records the burial of Elizabeth the wife of Thomas Whitborn of Humber.

1713             The Burial Register records the burial of Nicholas son of Thomas Cummyn, Humber.

1713             The Churchwardens’ Records show that Ni. Cove Esq. was churchwarden ‘for his estate at Lower Humber’

1736             The Churcwardens’ records show that Thomas Comyns Esq. was churchwarden for Higher Humber.

1736             The list of Sir John Lear’s debt after his death shows that Thomas Comyns was in possession of Higher Humber.

1768             An Indenture of Release in Fee shows that Nicholas Cove sells to John Line of Lindridge the farm of Higher Humber for £1652.

1773             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Daniel, son of John and Elizabeth Townsend of Humber.

1792             The Land Tax Assessment shows Humber is owned by John Templer with Wm. Rendall as tenant; and that Templer owns Middle Humber with Richard Evens as tenant.

1795             The Land Tax Assessment shows that John Templer owns Humber and Middle Humber with Wm.Rendell and Richard Evens as occupiers.

1795             The Baptism Register records the baptism of Mary, the daughter of Richard and Susannah Evans of Humber.

19th Century

1805             The Churchwardens’ records show that John Bickley was churchwarden for Higher Humber.

1832             A survey of the Lindridge Estate shows that Lower or Home Humber farm had 242 acres, that Lambpark Humber has 42 acres and that Higher Humber has 236.

1833             The Voters’ Lists shows Richard Evens has the right to vote as the owner/occupier of land at Humber.

1840              The Bishopsteignton Tithe List shows Rev James Templer as owner and William Vooght as occupier of pt of Home Humber and Higher Humber

1851             The Census names John Vooght, 45 in possession of Higher Humber, 240 acres.

1857             Billings Directory shows William Bennett, farm bailiff occupiers Lower Humber.

1857             Billings Directory shows John and William Vooght, farmers at Higher Humber Farm.

1866             Kelly’s Directory shows Thomas Maddicott farmer at Lower Humber.

1866             Kelly’s Directory shows John Vooght, farmer at Higher Humber.  Repeated for 1870.

1873             Kelly’s Directory shows John Daymond, farmer at Higher Humber, and Thomas Maddicott farmer at Lower Humber.

1878             The Baptism Register shows the baptism of John, son of John and Lavinia Dymond, farmer, Humber.

1883             Kelly’s Directory shows John Dymand farmer at Higher Humber and George Maddicott farmer at home Humber.  Repeated for 1889.

1897             Kelly’s Directory shows William Bradridge farmer at Home Humber and John Dymond farmer at Higher Humber.  This is repeated for 1902.

20th Century

1914             Kelly’s Directory shows William Bradridge farmer at Home Humber with John Short and Nicholas James Triese farmers at Higher Humber.

1919             Kelly’s Directory shows Bradridge Bros. farmers at Home Humber and Nicholas James Treise farmer at Higher Humber.

1920             A Land Conveyance records the transfer of Higher Humber Farm from Sir Ernest Cable to Mr R.S. Harvey.

1926             Kelly’s Directory shows William Stuart Bradridge farmer at Home Humber.

1926             Kelly’s Directory shows Reginald William Sharland as farmer at Higher Humber.

1939             Kelly’s Directory repeats the occupation of Home and Higher Humber Farms as for 1926.

Leave a Reply