When Phyllis Blogg’s children were evacuated to Bishopsteignton from London, she came to visit them and ended up staying on. They were billeted with Kit and Jack Ward, who ran the butcher’s shop in Fore Street, opposite the Manor Inn.
Kit and Jack Ward were very popular in the village, taking in Phyllis Blogg and her family as evacuees during World War Two. They still have relatives living in the village, who have kindly filled in some gaps in their story.
Just after Bishopsteignton Heritage opened its doors to visitors at the HUB in the Community Centre, we were visited by a gentleman who, it turned out, had been evacuated to the village in 1941. His name is John Hope, and he was the nephew of Phyllis Blogg.
David, Pat and Ted Cross were London evacuees staying in Bishopsteignton from June 1940 – January 1942.This is their story as described in a letter to Dick Searle, then the curator of Bishopsteignton Museum.
John Harvey McGregor (known as Jack), his wife Audrey Pamela (Pam) Brooke lived mainly in Surrey with their two sons John (b. 1937) and Richard (b. 1939). In September 1940 they moved to Devon to escape the blitz, and it was then that they came to live in Bishopsteignton.
A record of the occupants of the Blacksmith’s Forge in Fore St., Bishopsteignton, from 1841 onwards.
A short history of the Parish of Bishopsteignton including a summary of surnames that appear in official records for Bishopsteignton from the time of Henry VIII. From a copy held by the Bishopsteignton Museum, first compiled in 1978. Transcribed and updated 2014.
The Back Family. 200 years in the village.
The Back family and their ancestors and descendants have been a quiet part of village life for over two hundred years with the current family still living along the Teign Estuary.