Search our archive

Search

Places

Facts, figures and history of places found in and around Bishopsteignton Parish.

Occupiers of Rixdale: 1303 – 1906

Saxon The derivation of this name is from the Old English words Stiniele meaning stone house (or important house). and Ryx meaning by the reeds or it might be from Rex, a leader. The estate was apparently named before the Saxon Leoffa settled at Luton and named it. By...

Occupiers of Radway: 1524 – 1956

This is an area rather that a single dwelling or property.  Radway is derived from Rad, Old English for grass or herbage, and Waie Old English for track or way; so it is the way to the grass feeding land, or Haldon Common where there was common pasture. 16th...

Peace Park – an interpretation

The History of Bishopsteignton From W. D. Cleland and A. C. Ellis - M. Laithwaite The name of Bishopsteignton is composed of Celtic and Anglo Saxon words, Teign or Tain is a Celtic word of river and Ton is Anglo Saxon for enclosure. The prefix Bishops was added later...

Occupiers of Venn: 1249 – 1939

Venn was probably a family holding when Bishop Leofric received Tainton/Radway from King Edward. 13th Century 1249          The Bishop’s Records show that Walter le Thailleur held Venn for one fifth of a Knight’s fee. 14th...